14 October 2012

Book review: Nun and Dragon







I don't usually review fiction, actually I don't normally read short fiction at all, but I decided to try something a bit different from Foxspirit mostly due to the not so subtle suggestions from Adele on twitter, and I'm glad I did.

It's a collection of 23 short stories all themed along with the books title, being  "Nun and Dragon" and is available on the kindle from Amazon or in other formats from Wizards Tower

If you have ever lived in Britain then "Nun and Dragon" will  almost certainly make you think of a country pub, much like the name "The Vat and Fiddle" in Nottingham or "The Goat and Tricycle" in Bournemouth. I seriously suspect the many of the Nuns in this book would be more at home in "The Wicked Lady" in Wheathamstead.

It's starts off with The Ballad of Gilrain by Sarah Cawkwell , and it sets the tone for many of the following stories. As I was reading though the stories I was reminded of an old 80s TV show called Wizards and Warriors  it was short lived, but rather funny.

Love Airships? If so Journey to Blackfire Keep by Colin F Barnes will make you happy, and maybe the start of  SteamDragonPunk.

The stories vary from fantasy, Science Fiction, those set in the late 1900s, a Western, with some based in contemporary times.

My very favorite (probably no surprise to the books editor) is The Sound of Latex by Peter Ray Allison. Can we have more of Willow please?  If not, at least some other tales of Bhikkhuni of the Holy Order of Sing Lung?



So if you like Nuns or Dragons, or them both together, it's certainly worth a read.


“Never laugh at live dragons.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments: